Sunday, November 30, 2014

What It Takes To Become a Parent


      What does it takes to be a parent ? Well, other than babies, financial support, and all those other physical things. What else ? As November ends and people start to put on their Christmas lights, I thought of a parent's relationship with their child. I know there's a lot of things you need physically and financially to be a parent, but what about emotionally ? I couldn't help but wonder about a friend in school, he came out to his family two years ago and they still aren't okay with it. What will his Christmas be like ?

      When I asked a grown man with a four year old son, "What would you do if your son is gay ?" He told me that when people become parents, they all have this expectation of what their child will be like, and if his son turns out to be something different, he hopes that he will be mature enough to deal with it as a parent. I think that's true, and maybe parents do actually take the time to imagine what their child will be like. Expectations can be expected, but how they deal with their disappointment from their expectations show what kind of parent they are.

      Love. It's all about love when you have a child. Well at least it should be love. People say that a parent's love for a child is the strongest love, but is that always true ? Then why can some parents not accept their children's sexual orientation, and others can ? Is that still out of love !? I respect everyone's opinions and beliefs on sexuality, but it's just so heart-breaking to believe that love can become so hurtful and hateful. I know it's hard, but when you become a parent, think about what kind of parent you will become. I can't say that if you can't accept your child, it isn't love, but I think I can say that you should try to have a greater and more open-minded love. 

      So, as we say goodbyes to November and start to sing those Christmas carols, think about the values and the meaning behind Christmas. It's about love, family, happiness, and being grateful of all those people and things around us.

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment