Thursday, December 3, 2015

Reclaiming Myself: Faggot


          A Faggot, how do you feel when someone calls you a Faggot ?

          Faggot: "a male homosexual/a bundle of sticks or twigs used as fuel for a fire".

          It can be used as slang, as an insult, an offensive comment, a funny comment, a trigger word...etc. But it can also be just a word. Now I understand the shameful use of this word and how it can trigger negative feelings or memories for many people in the LGBTQ community, including me. Yet I think for me at least, I am ready to reclaim this word.

          If you call me a "Faggot", I would first chuckle, then kindly ask what do you mean by that exactly. If you meant by a homosexual male, I would love to respond with, "Yes, yes I am, now how may I help you?". And if you meant it by calling me a bundle of sticks, I would laugh because that makes no sense at all. See, not really an insult to me if the word means a homosexual male, since this is what I am as a human being. I think I have the right to take ownership and control over the word, and not accept the hate that comes with the definition of who I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word or the definition itself, so I will not let this word, that I believe has a beautiful meaning, be destroyed and used by society.

          I am not ashamed of my sexuality and I will stand my ground to stay true to my identity. I will not give up my power nor will I submit to society's attack against people like me through claiming the definition of this word. I refuse to give in to hate, so they no longer have the power to use the definition of who I am to attack me. I will claim my rights, my freedom, and my identity. This is me not allowing haters to hate, and not giving into their traps and their methods of hurting the LGBTQ community. 

          I am not afraid.


Editor: K.L.S

      

No comments:

Post a Comment