Saturday, July 15, 2017

Depression Is When... (Poem)


Depression is when... 

When I overeat,
Trying to fill myself, my stomach,
Trying to fill this emptiness within me.

When I can’t get out of bed, 
Feeling like there’s no purpose to be alive. 

When I isolate myself, 
Blocking communications with others, 
Forcing people to leave me, 
Wanting to burden no one but myself. 

When I feel guilty,
For things that I can’t control. 
Feeling as if I need to be better, 
Feeling as if I need to change, 
Feeling as if I need to be fixed, 
In order to be loved. 

When I sleep for a whole day, 
And still feel sleepy, 
Desperate for an escape. 

When I want to cry, 
To let everything out. 
Yet I feel nothing, 
Not even a single tear. 

When I feel my friends’ hopelessness, 
Feeling like they no longer know, 
How to love me. 

When I fight a War with myself, 
Every Single Day. 

When I act so well, 
To look happy, To look confident, 
To be funny, To be sassy,
To be... fine.

Depression is when... 
When I don’t live, I Survive.

Leon Tsai

No comments:

Post a Comment