Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Happy Ending



      Tonight, I was ushering at a playhouse and we got to watch the show. Their show this month is Snow White. It wasn't that bad, they did a new version of this old over-told story. As I was watching, I couldn't help but wonder about the three things most fairy tales have : love, happily ever after, and a happy ending. 

      Do happy endings exist in real life ? I doubt it. Can humans really die happy ? Does it still counts if the dead person is happy but their family and friends aren't ? Maybe relationships can end happily. I have heard of it happening, but had never seen it. Happily ever after is just some bullshit. There is no way a person can be happy forever just because of something great that happened. No matter how positive I try to be, I know I will have my lows and sad days. Maybe it can be nice to lie to yourself sometimes...

      Why is love so important in these fairy tales ? It's all about love will do this, love will do that. Love will break the curse, love will save your life, love will make wishes come true, love will give you a happy ending...etc. Sure, love can be all these things, but isn't it exhausting to think of love that way ? It's like we people always want to put so many expectations and hopes on love. I think I can understand as someone who has never experienced love. I can tell you how beautiful it is to dream about the perfect love, but all it does is cause more disappointments after I have experienced love.

      Go on believing in love, happily ever after, and a happy ending if you want. I think that we deserve to have this ridiculous dreams to get away from our real life problems sometimes, and hey, these dreams may actually happen if you're lucky. You never know. 

      It can also depend on how you think too. If you and your family / partner lived happily for many years, that can be your version of happily ever after. Never be afraid to put your own stamps on things in life.

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment