Sunday, February 8, 2015

'Fat Shaming'


       Recently, I have watched a YouTube video called "The Truth About 'Fat Shaming'". I was shocked by the message and the information given in this video. First, I was very offended and upset with the video, but then I slowing started to agree... The main message of this video is about how 'Fat Shaming' should not be counted as a bad act, and how people can't choose their gender and skin colour, but people can choose their size. The guy in the video also explained that being fat is an unhealthy condition for your body, it gives you a higher rate of strokes and heart attacks... and that it's normal for people to fat shame others because it's not healthy and humans don't want to be that way. Now, when you verbalize and try to explain the video, it sounds terrible and rude, but somehow I agreed with him when I watched the video. I mean... the dude knew what he was talking about, and obesity does raise the chance of strokes and heart attacks. 

        I don't know, I mean... I guess it's different for some others because some are naturally big boned and some have medical conditions. We should help those who have an eating disorders because overeating is an eating disorder, and overeating can cause obesity. 'Fat Shaming' is mean and it causes bullying ! What about "there's beauty at every size" and how "beauty comes from within" and all that shit !? Agreeing with this video's message conflicts with a lot of stuff I believe in. I was just so shocked at the amount of people who agreed with the video in the comments. I don't know what to think about this... I was always against 'Fat Shaming' because I was bullied badly because of my size, and I still feel very insecure with my size... I feel even worse about myself now after agreeing with the video. Sure, it can be very unhealthy, but does it really give people the right to do and say things to others in such a horrible way !?

        I don't know... I seriously don't know what to do or what to think about beauty anymore. I don't even understand beauty to be honest. I try to act all confident and tell people that all sizes are beautiful, but inside I know that I'm not beautiful or comfortable with my own size. Is being unhealthy still beautiful ? I don't think so, because being healthy is one of the most important things in life. Then I guess not all sizes are beautiful ? Perhaps I just need more time to understand the meaning and concept of beauty that applies to not just one but all...

        People keep telling me that I'm not fat or obese, but the truth is, I am fat. Honestly, if people say that we should embrace who we are and our size, then 'fat' shouldn't be an insult at all. I feel like people are too nice and lie to me about how I look. I don't think I'm normal at all and I'm fat. I would even call myself obese. I have tried many diets, but no results have shown to have worked. After all, I still can't decide on what I feel about 'Fat Shaming' and I'm still trying to lose weight even though I tell people that their size is beautiful and they should be confident in their own skin. I hate being a hypocrite, but I just don't know how to feel beautiful sometimes... 

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment