Thursday, June 18, 2015

A New Part of Moi


          So, it is now official. I am a Canadian ! 

          It's quite exciting for me to finally have the Canadian Citizenship Ceremony. I think it's a big deal as I'm so desperately want to fit in. My other friends often say that I'm a banana as I'm white in the inside yet yellow on the outside. I don't disagree that I do want to fit in. I'm already unique enough and I just want to be everyone else for this. Yet skin colour isn't everything since Canada is a country with a lot of culture diversity. All I want is to just speak perfect English without an Asian accent which will not be possible because it just isn't my first language. 

          I actually think it's a little sad for me to be this desperate for a status. What am I trying to prove ? Being the same ? I fought my way out of the closet just to show people that I'm okay with being different and I love my differences but this ? I even was going to change my name to Leon. I mean, I already make everyone call me Leon and I say that my Chinese name is too difficult to pronounce. But the truth is, it's not that difficult. I just wanted a common name like the others. I changed my mind after thinking that it's just wrong for me to leave my birth name like that. I should be proud of my name because it's difficult to have many Li Yangs yet there are hundreds of Leons here in Canada. I should appreciate my name as my parents came up with this beautiful name.

          Li Yang is a name I abandoned a long time ago because of fitting in, but I finally understand that I can still be a Canadian like everyone else and still be Li Yang. Now I still would like to be called Leon in school because everyone already know me as Leon, but now I won't be embarrassed anymore to share my real name. I'm proud of who I am and I'm proud of every part of me. And I'm just happy to be part of this amazing country. Yet I will try my best to not forget my homeland.  

          Now, do I get a pet polar bear ? And maybe some male syrup eh ? Or do I just magically become a skilled hockey player ? (Jokes)

No comments:

Post a Comment