Monday, June 26, 2017

Bey & I: Challenging the Patriarchal System


Disclaimer: This piece is just a metaphorical comparison between my struggles against the patriarchal system as an Asian-immigrant Transgender Woman and what we've seen of Beyonce's public experiences as a black female artist, in no way am I trying to say that all BIPOC's struggles are the same nor is this piece saying that me and Queen Bey are on the same level in regards to being an activist or a social influence.

          As Malcolm X once said: "The most disrespected person in America is the black woman. The most unprotected person in America is the black woman. The most neglected person in America is the black woman." Yet how is Beyonce, a black woman in America, so successful ? Yet how is Beyonce, a black woman in America, able to be one of the most powerful and influential people in the world ? Is this really... her #BlackGirlMagic ?! Well, looking back at my years in high school, and the work of advocacy that I've done, I'm a little surprised as well. A female student gave me some feedback on the women's history month assembly that I organized, and she said that she had been talking to the school admins about having an assembly like that for months, and I was able to do because "I'm Leon". But it's not just her, many other students have told me that I'm doing stuff other people can't do, just because... I'm me ? I don't understand, I am one of the most marginalized people in the school, one of the most oppressed people under the system. Why do I have this power ?

          Well, then I thought of Beyonce's journey, and how we've both invaded the system in a way ! Before anything else, we both had to disguise ourselves. We both somehow had to fit into the system, even if it's not being "real". I came as an immigrant, yet I quickly learned English and desperately tried to hide my accents. I came out as gay and happily became a "token", the gay best friend many white cis-straight girls wanted me to be. For Beyonce, when she started her solo career, she mostly only wore wigs, not having her natural hair out. And what was even more interesting was that many of her wigs were blonde. She, as a black woman with a southern background, did not produce any music that reflected back to her communities. And most importantly, she sexualized herself, within her mainstream pop music videos, she fetishized herself for her audience. Yes, it's basically what all female pop artists have to do to be popular, but still, she gave in and made content strategically for men's liking... Then, after we've both gained power and popularity, we reveal our true identities as the woke bitches that we are ! (I don't know about Beyonce, but I was more growing into the bad bitch that I am rather than revealing it lol.) Remember after Beyonce dropped her visual album "Lemonade" ? And how the world went crazy because they didn't know how much Beyonce stood for the #BlacklivesMatter movement ? Remember when Beyonce used the Superbowl stage as a platform to pay tributes to Michael Jackson and Malcolm X ? Remember how controversial it was ?! Yep, that's my girl. Go Queen Bey ! Now, most people supported the LGBTQ+ assembly that I organized, yet the Women's History Month celebrations ? It got controversial, people got political, and comments got a lot nastier. Then, I wasn't able to make the Mental Health Awareness assembly happen... People started questioning my intention as an Activist, people wondered if I'm doing "too much", if I'm pushing the messages too hard... I even had to fight to make Pride Week happen, just because I wanted to invite Drag Queens in and perform in our cafeteria during lunchtime. Still, it happened, and yes there were backlash, but it was amazing.

          We made history !!!

          Yet even with our work of advocacy and status, we're still facing backlash. On the last day of school, I wore a scandalous sequins minidress to celebrate the ending of high school and my thick & juicy body. I was feeling myself, and I wanted to end my high school years on a good note, symbolically spreading the message of loving oneself (physically, emotionally, and mentally). Though of course I got scolded by many teachers as I've clearly violated the dress code, but most let it slip through because it's the last day of school. One teacher particular stood out, a white cisgender straight white man, spoke to me privately and expressed his concern. Now, if it was just a matter of violating the dress code and making him or other male students uncomfortable, fine, I'll take my punishments. After all, I'm still a student under the system. Yet he expressed about how he felt threatened, as he felt like if I'm challenging the system, I'm challenging him as well. Now, "threatened" ? A white man feeling challenged by a trans person of colour embracing and loving their body ? Celebrating and having pride in one's marginalized identity ? Mhm, so surprised... *rolls eyes. He even questioned me of my intent and asked why I've decided to do this on the last day of school after everything that I've contributed for the community. He felt like me dressing like this and challenging the system will ruin my "legacy"...

          As you can see, there is still so much more work to do. Even if me and Bey have really invaded the system somehow and gained some power, we are still oppressed in many ways. Allies, y'all need to do better. We all need to do better. We shall fight, we shall resist, and we will not stop until all voices are heard, and answered.

          Stay Woke, and Stay Fabulous !

       
       

No comments:

Post a Comment