Sunday, June 12, 2016

Melancholy


          "Melancholy is a species of sadness, that arises when we open to the fact that life is inherently difficult, and that suffering and disappointments are core parts of an universal experience."
The School Of Life

          Often sadness makes a lot of sense, as we live on with our days on Earth. 
I sit silently, and I allow myself to drown into my thoughts. I stare into the clock, ticking. And I try to imagine time backwards. Remembering the times when we thought of life so innocently, the times where we could build our morals through the value of happiness, the times when we allowed ourselves to cry, to laugh, and to feel so purely, and so hopefully. 
          What happened ? Why did we stop ? 
If only we humans can have the answers to the questions and doubts of our happiness. If only we can really just stop, and look at the world around us. Such hate, such violence, when can it be stopped, and more importantly, how !? I drown myself into the state of melancholy, to understand that my suffering belongs to humanity in general. That it's not just about me, that it's unfair for every human being on Earth. Life isn't fair. 
People are suffering and there's nothing I can do. I voice my opinion, my morals, my support, but they're still suffering. I take actions, and I unit voices, but they're still hurting. 
          What can I do ? What can we do ? It's not enough. It'll never be enough.

          "The wisdom of the Melancholy attitude as opposed to the bitter, angry one, lies in the understanding that the sorrow isn't just about you, that you have not been singled out, that your suffering belongs to humanity in general. To take that fully to heart, is to become more compassionate and less vengeful."
The School Of Life

          I'm slowly walking deeper and deeper into the sea of pessimism. Many countries still sees homosexuality as an illegal act, and many places still won't allow Trans people to use the washroom in peace. A talented young woman, with her rise to stardom, shot at one of her concerts. A young man, rich and white, can still be supported after raping an unconscious girl, blaming the cause on alcohol. And now, during the month of Pride, a shooting killing fifty people, injuring fifty three others at a local Gay Club. The worst thing is, now ISIS wants to claim responsibility of this hate crime, causing more to support the act of racial profiling.

          We as a society are falling apart, but there is still hope. Nothing will ever be enough, but we need to keep trying. We need to make our voices heard and take actions. We need to stand up for what we believe in and take a stance for those who can't themselves. The beauty of Melancholy is that it teaches us how precious love and care are. It encourages us to become more aware, better people. We need to treasure our time, and love. We want to be more forgiving, kinder, and focus on those people and those things that really matter, while there's still time. 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment