Thursday, August 7, 2014

Sexpectations

                         

      I have found that we all have expectations in relationships. We want love to be good, and we often imagine our relationships to be wonderful. Sex is something we especially have huge expectations for. Either you're not good at it and you're hoping that he/she/they will make it somewhat decent, or maybe you're great and you want someone who is just as good or better. To be honest, I think that expectations are natural for us. It's normal to want something at its best. But I wonder how many people actually have the luck to experience the fulfillment of their expectations.

      In relationships, expectations are so common and range widely. How did these expectations even start in our little heads? That's a question that I can never answer with my IQ. But we all know what kind of ridiculous expectations we have for others so I guess I don't need to mention that in detail. 

      But I have just thought about the expectations we have for ourselves. We expect ourselves to love the other person in the relationship, to accept and respect their decisions and opinions. Sometimes we even expect ourselves to change for him/her. But even I know that it's very hard to change ourselves. So what happens when we can't fulfill those expectations? Maybe the other person speaks up and we try again, maybe they overlook our flaws or maybe the relationship slowly drives itself into destruction... 

      I think it's okay to have these expectations. But we all need to understand that it might not work out the way we wanted it to. How we deal with disappointment shows us where our relationships will head.

Editor: M.B.C

No comments:

Post a Comment