Tuesday, February 10, 2015

When I was a Kid... (Poem)


When I was a kid, 
I used to love my flaws because that's what makes me who I am.

When I was a kid,
I used to be able to perform like no one's watching.

When I was a kid, 
I used to love the colour pink no matter what others may think.

When I was a kid,
I used to eat what I want when I'm hungry without feeling bad.

When I was a kid,
I used to swim like I'm a mermaid and sing like I'm a rock star.

When I was a kid, 
I used to be comfortable with my skin and the way I look.

When I was a kid, 
I used to believe that dreams do come true.

What changed ? Society didn't change. It was me who changed. I slowly started to hear and see how cruel and ugly humans can be as I grow. 
Those lies, thoughts, and words all disguised as knifes. It's as if the older we grow, the more we lose ourselves. We started to forget who we are and who we want to be. 
But deep down, I know there's still that kid. I know he's there, all locked up with the chains of judgement.

Can't you see ? 
Don't you realize that there's no "When I was a kid..." here,
 but only "When I was free..." ?


                                                                                                     Leon Tsai


Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment