Sunday, December 18, 2016

Loving Someone with Depression.


          I... am Depressed. And as difficult as it is, it's also difficult to love someone with Depression. I, for one, can very much understand how hard it is as my mother struggled with Depression. To witness someone you love and care so much about, going through their worst, and see how they are isolating themselves, trying to push you away, is heartbreaking. Sometimes it's easy to get angry even. It can start to feel hopeless.

          I think that because I've witness my mother, I understand how difficult it is for those around me as well. I can see how frustrating and how helpless they feel. And I'm sorry, because I'm not able to the one to help them, not when I'm this unstable myself. I also think that people don't know how to deal and help those with depression. People don't understand what we go through, and what we need, what we don't need...etc. And I can say this, because I didn't understand my mother, I didn't know what she needed, I didn't know how to help her. Now looking back, I wished I could have done a lot of things differently.

          Look, it hurts. It hurts not getting it. It hurts not being able to understand. It hurts. But, there's nothing you can do to fix me. There's nothing you can do to make me happy. I know how hard and difficult it is to be friends with me, especially when I'm like this. I desperately want to make it easier for my friends, for those I love, and those who are there for me, but I can't. I can't even make it easier for myself. Right now, I can't help but to think is this going to be the deal breaker ? The deal breaker for the friendships I've worked hard on ? Like I've said in past pieces, I can't make people stay, and I won't ask them to stay. Sometimes it may be just too difficult. And if they're not able to be there for me, or if I'm not worth for them to keep fighting for, I understand.

          "Depression really does take a toll on friendships. But it helps weeding out people and seeing who sticks around." (An Interesting Quote I found)

Here are the links to some research I did, which can benefit those are struggling to love and care for someone who is suffering with Depression. (And yes, I do research before writing a blog piece, I like to know what I'm talking about. It's funny, how even when depressed, I still feel like using it as an educational moment to talk about Mental Health.) 

10 things not to say to a depressed person
Why do people with depression push others away?
How to “Be There” for a Depressed Person
How to Help Someone with Depression
5 Things to Do When Someone You Love Experiences Depression

No comments:

Post a Comment