Sunday, November 20, 2016

A Word About... Leadership.


          After OSLC, I started thinking about Leadership, and how we can all learn to be a better leader. I think that especially this year, I've put myself into a lot of leadership positions. I've definitely learned a lot, and I'm sure I'll continue to. And I of course don't think that I'm a "better" leader than anyone, I just think that I'm more critical of leadership values since it's a public service.

          I think that sometimes, in a lot of cases, leadership opportunities are not offered for everyone. OSLC costed like what, about $350 ? It was also extremely loud and crowded, you have to be squeezed into a room with 2000 other people. It was high energy 24/7, and it emphasized on fun. It's similarly to a lot of what high school's student councils trying to achieve, hype. We have spirit assemblies, rallies, events, just to boost up energy of the school. People screaming, dancing, singing...etc. Now, it's great, and it's fun. Yet I feel like we're almost focusing too much on this one side of leadership. I think that sometimes organizations tends to forget the other side of leadership, the more passive side.

          For me, leadership is about listening. Listening to what we need, what needs to be done, and how we can make a difference, and be better. It's about first knowing how to reflect on ourselves. These spirited assemblies, what's the purpose ? What about those students who aren't able to be "fun" ? There are students living with special needs, depression, anxiety...etc. Some are anti-social, and some may be bullied, whom doesn't feel like they can participate, or that they shouldn't get involved because no one cares. How are we suppose to help them feel more included ? More safe ? We need to listen. And maybe I'll get some backlash, but I find that a lot of leaders are leading for themselves. They want to have fun, they like this energy, this party-like environment. Yet, that's sometimes the last thing we need.  It was funny, while everyone else was all hyped-up in OSLC, I was busy taking notes from the speakers. Don't get me wrong, I love to have fun, yet I'm just more interested in learning. Also, not to mention the lack of minorities' representations in many leadership teams.

          Leadership, is not fun. It's not suppose to be fun. And that doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel joyful or enjoy what you're doing, no, but if you're having more fun than the people, there's a problem. Also, leadership isn't always successful. I think that most of the speakers in OSLC are successful in one way or the other. Which is fine, they've obviously worked their way there. Yet I personally would love to listen to a speaker that is still struggling yet kept fighting, that is maybe not successful in most society's eyes. That's inspiring. That's sometimes what we leaders need to listen to, that's what we need to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment