Monday, November 28, 2016

Being Good Isn't Good Enough.


          Wow. It's almost unbelievable. I've been accepted into the Universities of Arts London: London College of Fashion. It's right here in front of me, an opportunity to study abroad in the United Kingdom, how fabulous ! I'm so happy, grateful, and touched by everyone's encouragements. Yet, it wasn't exactly what I wanted...

          The UAL organization, Universities of Arts London, has 6 Universities & Colleges in London, England under it's wing, each offering different educations relating to the Arts. 2 out of the 6, Central Saint Martins and London College of Fashion offers great Fashion programs which I've set my eyes on. Both are great, yet CSM is just a dream school, which many has said to be the best fashion institute in the world. LCF is wonderful as well, offering some programs in which CSM does not, Fashion Psychology, Fashion Communication, Footwear Design, Undergarments Specializations...etc. UAL came to Toronto to do a round of interviews in November and February, and they've recommend that the fashion applicants sign up for November just because of how competitive their programs are. Everything is a little rushed, and it caused a lot of stress and anxiety to pull a portfolio together. Now, the Arts schools under UAL are special, they are great programs with a certain standard level, and they require all international students and students that just came out of high school to study a predegree program (1 year long) before applying for their undergraduate degree programs. So the interview that I just had is not even for the actual degreed programs, yet the quality must be there.

          I've arrived, preparing myself for the worst, thinking that I may not be good enough, talented enough for Central Saint Martins, the school which ranks number 1 in the world, and produced the one and only, Alexander McQueen. They came and took my work from me, went in for about 15 minutes, came out to get me, sat me down... 

"So Fashion Design. Why ?" 
          I gave my answer as clear and passionately as possible.
"See, the problem is, most of what you have here are not fashion designs, they're just pretty fashion illustrations. Come, let's take a look.
There's not enough work, it's just sketches out of your head, not enough process, not enough design. How are you going to bring them to life ? Is that even possible ? I do like some of them, they're okay. The print works are fine. Your mixed media works are good, quite creative. Here, sit.
Now, CSM holds a certain standard, in which is not necessary better, but definitely more intense. With the works that you have now, you'll fail.
What I think will work for you, and for the best, is to offer you an acceptance into London College of Fashion's predegree course, not Central Saint Martin's. But, since I can see in your application that you're fairly passionate about CSM, why don't you come back in February with a new set of work, but we'll give you this offer for now, which I strongly suggest. Any questions ?"

          So now, I'm not that upset about the offer, since London College of Fashion is a good school after all, and I'll still be able to study abroad. But is this really good enough ? That was one of the most difficult 15 minutes of my life, they didn't give me time to think, talk, explain, or defend my art works. I've prepared to talk about my work, my inspirations, relating my photography, my sketches, my sculptures, and my paintings to fashion and how I would use it in my designs. But I guess there's no time for that, either I've got it or I don't. That's the fashion world.

          I'm definitely disappointed in myself, but I need to have hope as I'm given another chance. I'll take London College of Fashion for now, but I think I should come back in February to give Central Saint Martins another shot. Some people may settle, for LCF, ranking number 8 in the world for an education in fashion. (Which is completely reasonable.) But being good isn't good enough, or is it ? Will I settle this time and not try to push myself over the edge ? I don't know... For now, I just need to rest, I need to take a break, and celebrate for what I've accomplished. 


No comments:

Post a Comment