Friday, October 17, 2014

Is Sexual Orientation A Choice ?


      Is being gay a choice, or are you born gay ? I have always wondered this, and it has been always a debate between people. I mostly avoided these types of conflicts because; first of all, people usually won't change their opinion after debates; second, I suck at debating and persuading people; and finally, people get really emotional and dramatic. Now, I think it's time to actually think and talk about it. I don't want to talk about it because of who I am, but because it is interesting and I want to know the answer. 

      It's hard though, because everyone has different opinions and thoughts about this. Some say it's genetic, some say that it's a phase or a choice, and some just say that it's not natural. I did a little research, but I'm a lazy reader, so these are just some brief theories on news and articles: 

      Scientists actually found this gene that's in these gay men that are related, but that isn't enough to prove that it's a "gay gene" because not all gay men in all families have them and also no other lesbian women have them. They have this theory that when a baby boy has older brothers, he is more likely to be gay. They say that it's because of some kind of hormones exposure from the mother to the baby, and that's more likely to happen if the mother had carried baby boys before. Others who say that it's a choice usually say that it can be influenced by how they are raised and their hobbies. Some just bring up the bible and talk about how it's naturally between women and men.

      My opinion is that it's not genetic. I think that it's the mother and child thing, because I have an older brother. I also looked at the others' perspective on how it's a choice, and I don't wanna seem too bias because of who I am. I looked into the bible, and they actually never said "homosexuality is bad". They said how lust between men is an abomination, but what about love ? Also, that was said that in the old testament, and then when the new testament was made new laws and rules were created and should be followed today. The new testament is mostly about Jesus and his teachings on acceptance and love. Plus the old testament has some things in it that don't apply to modern society, such as that slavery is okay and mixing fabrics is an abomination. There are people just say that it's a choice but can't explain or prove anything. Let me ask you a few simple questions: why the hell would we choose to be homosexual ? It would be way easier for us to live as straight people and not get bothered by things like this. Also, if it's a choice, can you choose to become homosexual right now ? Like can you just pick a person that's the same gender and just date them right away ? 

      After all, I think we all need to ask ourselves, does this really matter ? Even if it is a choice, would I stop being like this ? My answer is no. Because no matter what, the choices we make in our lifetime make us who we are. I am who I want to be, and I will stand by my choice. So what if it's not "natural" ? The diversity and the differences in people is what makes this world so beautiful, right ? 

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment