Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Love that can Never be Heard


      If you know the original version of The Little Mermaid, not the Disney version, you will know that the ending is not happy at all. The mermaid gave up her voice for a pair of legs, and she became friends with the prince, but the prince fell in love with someone else. The mermaid jumped off the ship and became bubbles in the ocean.

      Some people's favorite love story is Romeo & Juliet, and some people's are other Disney princess' stories. My favorite love story is The Little Mermaid, but the original without the happy ending. Why ? I don't really know either... It just has been my favorite all along. It's realistic and it has taught me to know that love can be blinding, and that you can give everything up for a person but not receive any happiness back. As a kid, and now still a little, I've always dreamed about love in a romantic, fancy way, like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. A part of me knew that my love will probably be more like the mermaid story. The mermaid, she was so selfless, loving and brave. It surprises me every time when I think about this, because who can love like that !? I don't know if I will ever find somebody I love so much that I'd be willing to do that for them. I don't even know if that kind of love even exists... 

      Even when she found out that she had no chance with the prince, she didn't go back to her mermaid life or move on. She chose to become bubbles, which might symbolize "suicide" depending how you look at it. She wanted to be part of the ocean, a place where the prince loved to be. Her love was so great for him, she wanted to be with him forever even after she left, just in the form of bubbles (spirit).

      Love maybe isn't always about relationships, and maybe it's not about being known. Love can be secretly caring and supporting someone. Love needs sacrifice. Love is sometimes losing yourself. It sounds beautiful doesn't it ? I want my love to be like that. I want a love that's like the ocean, deep and dark yet beautiful and full with diversity. On that's alive and painful, warm and dramatic. That's the love I think everyone has to go through. The mermaid, I believe, would have done the same thing if she went back in time. I don't think her love is ever gonna change, and that her love is infinite. Yet the prince will never know of her sacrifice, and only feel her presence when he's out on the sea. 

Editor: A.B.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment