Tuesday, March 31, 2015

How It All Started : Canada


        After Malaysia, we went back to Taiwan, and we stayed there for about a month before moving to Canada. It was a big process, so we had to go back to deal with the immigration paperwork. I remember not having a lot of knowledge of what was going on. I was quite happy I wasn't going to school for a whole month and just chill in the city. When we first arrived in Canada, we lived in a motel for about a month because we had to take some time to figure out school stuff and finding a house, car...etc. So for the first few days of school, I still lived in that motel room every night. My dad came with us, my mom convinced him to try living with his family and let go of his work for a little, and it was like an exciting adventure for me to go across the globe with my whole family this time. 

        Me being in Canada has one of the best and happiest memories and one of the saddest. In grade seven, my first year of school here, I was desperately trying to fit in because of what happened to me in Malaysia. Somehow, I started hanging out with this group of boys who were "popular", and it was't that bad. Teenage boys are just dumb sometimes. Somehow playing video games, shop lifting, and doing dangerous stunts were fun... but just so you know, I only joined in the legal stuff. It wasn't that bad because I had a chance to exercise a little by hanging out with those boys. They weren't the nicest people and they do make offensive and rude comments or "jokes" as they claimed. I started making friends with other girls in the school and teenage girls were just too smart to believe that I'm just another straight teenage boy. I insisted that I wasn't gay, and claimed to have a "crush" on this girl.

        My dad had not been enjoying his time here in Canada. He wasn't happy without his job, and he almost seemed like he lost his light and his purpose in life. Back in Taiwan, he had his business and his success. Here, he couldn't do anything because he doesn't know English, and he doesn't know how to deal with me and my brother since we've been apart for so long. So after a year or so, he went back to Taiwan. In grade eight, I became friends with these three girls that helped me come out of the closet. The guys weren't nice to them, and they once told me that these girls were trying to turn me "gay". They made lots of rude comments about them to me behind their back. People say it was bullying, but I've always believe it was just teenage boys being teenage boys. It was nothing compared to what I've experienced, but that drama somehow got to me. I was way more sensitive and sad than before. I was now a victim of bullying and believe me, I never wanted to label these guys as bullies, but things got out of hand and it was just a lot of drama. Then I came out, and I admitted to myself that it's fact that the girls were nicer friends than the guys. I never liked those video games anyway. I only liked it a little because some of the characters looked pretty. 

        Anyway, it was a lot to take in, and so much happened in those two little years. When it was time for me to leave for high school, I decided that I needed to go to a high school that not many people were going to, and I chose the school with the amazing arts' program. Who I was and who I could become was becoming so much more clear. Canada has given me the freedom of being who I am and loving who I am, and that is something I could not appreciate more. So, I auditioned into E.C.I. and we all know what happened next...

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment