Saturday, March 7, 2015

How It All Started : Taiwan Part 2


        After what happened, my parents started planning to send my brother to be an international student in Singapore. It was a great idea because Singapore has one of the best educations in the whole world, and it is a beautiful country. It is a clean and safe environment for kids, but my parents made a mistake of thinking a grade four student could do that alone. They went with my brother to drop him off, and came back without him. After a few weeks or months, things got worse. He started becoming sad and angry, and started to skip school. He felt like my parents didn't want him anymore and that he was abandoned. I can't blame him, the reason him and I always fought and he beat me up back then was because of how he felt. My parents loved us, but I was always the healthy and happy one who others liked more. My father also spoiled me because I am the youngest one. Of course there are good memories of me and my family too ! I don't want this to seem too depressing, but don't painful memories stick with you the most ? We are a loving family most of the times. My dad would bring my brother with him to play golf, and me and my mom would go to the mall on weekends. Me and my brother just never got along. We are extremely different and we value different things.

        In Asia, physical punishment is very normal and common. So, my father hit my brother a lot whenever my brother did something wrong or didn't take care of me, and I was an evil child. I used that power in a wrong way. Because my parents were busy, they expect my brother to take care of me, and whenever I want something from my brother, I got it. If he didn't give me the candies I wanted or if he didn't let me watch the TV channel I wanted, I would cry and scream and lie that he was bullying me, and then he would get hit by a stick or a belt as a punishment. Of course I get beat too, but not as much as him, and for legit reasons. Those were my dark times. I never knew what I was doing to my brother. I just wanted what I wanted...

        Anyway, my parents were fighting a lot, and I remember that my mother would cry every time after she called my brother because my brother didn't talk to her. So my mother made a decision of going to Singapore and getting my brother back. My mother took me and it was like a vacation for me, so I was happy, but soon after we came back, my mother and my father talked more and they asked me if I wanted to go study in Singapore. I said I didn't care or yes or whatever, but I knew I didn't say no. So my mother decided to take me and brother to go live in Singapore. My mother knew she couldn't take it anymore with the business, and she couldn't just take me. She told me that she remembered me crying a lot when my brother was in Singapore because my parents focused a lot on my brother's problems and I asked her, "do I have to be a bad kid for you guys to care about me ?" I know it was selfish of me, but me and brother both didn't get a lot of time with our parents because of their career.

        So yeah, my mother made the decision of leaving her business, her husband, her family, and her friends to take care of me and my brother in Singapore. That was a big problem for her marriage, because a long distant relationship is difficult, but she was a brave and intelligent woman who gave up a lot of things for her children. My father also had to deal with not seeing his family. It was tough, but my parents were strong, and they will always be my heroes.  

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment