Saturday, March 7, 2015

How It All Started : Taiwan Part 1


        Yesterday I went to a church youth group with friends, and as we were singing songs, we sang one that made me have flashbacks of myself before I came to Canada. So, since I haven't been writing on this blog often lately because my lack of inspiration, I am going to write about my earlier life. Some of you may not care, but it's kinda fun for me. 

        I was born in the capital city of Taiwan called Taipei. Neither of my parents were raised in Taipei. They both came to Taipei right after high school to get a job. They met because of work, and they started a business together soon after their marriage. For people who didn't even go to college or university, they did quite well, but starting a business is difficult and risky, especially when my mom was pregnant with my brother and then me soon after. As a child, I was basically raised by several nannies, and sometimes my preschool teacher even brought me home and took care of me for a few days because how busy my parents were. My brother had severe asthma and stayed in the hospital very often back then. I remembered often rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night because of him.

        My brother was a very sick child, and he didn't have many friends. He got into fights and was caused a lot of trouble as a student. It was hard to find a teacher in school that could handle him, and I remembered that my parents made him switch to a private school. The private school was way more expensive and strict than the public school, and I don't really remember why I switched schools with him, but I was fine in a public school. Education isn't free in Taiwan, so the school switching thing only made my parents even more busy and hardworking. Things really did not get better in the private school, I assume, because things changed for us later on.

        My mother got depressed for a while because of the stress of work and dealing with me and my brother fighting all the time. I remembered that one weekend, we were going to visit my father's family and my mother wouldn't go out of the car for some reason. I didn't understand it back then, but now I can. She was stressing about work and I assumed had a fight with my father or she was mad because of me and my brother. She just didn't want to see anyone and cried in the car. My mother is a very intelligent and genuine person. She doesn't want to be fake or pretend that she's happy, and to be honest, my dad's side of the family isn't easy to deal with. My father has eight brothers and sisters. Anyway, my dad wasn't very happy with how my mom acted, because my father cares a lot of how other people see him and his family. It just wasn't a good day...

Editor: A.B.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment