Monday, August 24, 2015

Summer Bible Camp - Christianity and Homosexuality


          So I've just gotten back from Teen's Week at a Summer Bible Camp. I had an amazing time and have made friends with some really cool people. Now before I went, I was quite worried that there would be problems as I am a homosexual man. People have asked me why I've decided to go to a religious camp knowing that people might have problems of me being who I am, and I've answered saying that it's because of friends and I wanted to do something fun...etc. But I actually want to use this opportunity to meet some other religious people and listen to some of their real opinions on homosexuality. 

           Everything worked out but they apparently had to hold a staff's meeting because I think this might be their first time having an openly LGBTQA+ teen going or something. So I didn't even have a chance to pretend to be straight, because everyone already kinda knew. I was scared because I would be able to deal with the other campers there if they have a problem with me, but I would not survive knowing that some staffs may dislike me. 

           I myself as a christian have always struggled because I really do believe that I'm born this way. I've not really talked about my religious faith or God with my friends because I think that somehow my existence goes against Christianity. Anyway, I respect that everyone has different religious background and beliefs so I don't really want to focus on what my religion and beliefs are. But I was actually impressed by how loving and caring these staffs and teens are. I've gotten a lot of religious hate before as an openly gay and these people are just so kind and accepting that it just touches my heart. Of course, most of them as Christians who believe in the Bible think that being gay is a sin, but none of them have actually said anything mean or disrespectful to me during those seven days. It still doesn't make sense to me how me loving someone can be sinful, but I have gained so much respect for Christianity because of how these people behaved and acted.

          I've found that the staffs were actually concerned that I would get offended by a drag skit some camper boys were going to do to entertain us by the camp fire one night. Now they care about my happiness and that's all that matters. I think it's perfectly okay for them to disagree with who I am and my decisions, but we as humans have to care and love one another and look past our differences. And there was this girl who actually called another camper to read some Bible verses to me at like midnight about sins and punishments. She kept apologizing after and said that she felt like she just had to do it because I am a Christian and she wanted me to understand what I'm doing. I believed that she meant no harm as she was so sweet and kind. Even though I felt a little uncomfortable, I respect her opinion and courage. I've also learned and understood that no human is black and white throughout the week. No sins or behaviors can define a person's good or bad. People respected me because I was respectful and kind, they didn't treat me unfairly base on their beliefs and opinions because me being gay does not define how nice or friendly I can be. People can have sins and still be a kind, loving person who deserve to be cared and respected. We're all just many shades of fabulous grey.

          Overall, I've really enjoyed my time at this camp and though a lot of campers there have encouraged me to go back next summer, I'm still not sure if I'll be able to. It was a great insightful experience and it has definitely helped me as a person and a Christian. Though I've warned the campers that if I do go back next year, I will go with my gear of stylish clothing, accessories and my sassiest attitude. 

          Next time, I will have nothing to hide, because I'm BORN THIS WAY baby !!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Leon,

    Great post. Your right, we had some Intel you were coming, but prepping the staff was just was a 10 second part of our staff meeting...it was worth mentioning, as you're correct that you're the first openly gay guy we've had here. One of my friends Anice came out a few years back, but I don't think she was open about it at Camp. It was a pleasure to have you at Camp, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brian,

      Thank you so much !!!
      I really had fun at camp and will hope to see you again as well. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete