Wednesday, October 7, 2015

To Prove Myself


          Ladies and gentlemen, I have good news ! I will be officially working with a youth acting company which will be my first real acting experience outside of school. I am offered to be in two of their production this season, a Shakespeare piece and an original piece which is more abstract and more physical.

          I've really been getting involved with the arts lately, I'm trying to audition for as many things as possible. As many of you know, my confidence in acting has failed after my drama teacher wouldn't give me an audition for the major class. And my dream of being a triple major was broken... But I dropped my minor drama class this year and hope to get into many drama productions to prove to her that I have the ability to act well. And I've auditioned to our school's both Fringe Drama Festival, and the Troupe which puts on plays for children in elementary schools. I didn't get into both of them and just when I thought that I must have sucked all this time, the teacher who's in charge of the Troupe production asked me to join as a character just opened up. Sure I do care a little that I'm just a replacement, but it gave me enough confidence to still audition for the KW Youth Theatre and now I'm in ! 

          I just feel like I've finally proven myself, even though my drama teacher knows nothing about what productions I'm apart of. Don't get me wrong, she's a lovely person, and she is great. But yes the major class was full, but many people still auditioned and were put on the wait-list. I wasn't upset of the fact that she didn't let me into the class, I was upset by her not giving me an audition - a chance to prove myself. And what she said to me when I asked her about this just makes me feel horrible about my talent and skills. She said, "I'm sorry, I don't think it's for you kid. Just have fun in the minor class." Like sure, I do love drama and I have fun, but I also work hard and I will if you just give me a chance. I need teachers (especially in the arts) to at least give me a chance. I know I'm not the most talented artist, singer, actor, dancer...etc, but I will work for it, because I want it.

          And I'm really scared yet excited at the same time for this Shakespeare play since it's my first time doing a Shakespeare piece. Plus, I'm still new to this Shakespeare old English thing, so that'll be a challenge. But I'm not going to let the company and the directors down. I will work as hard as I can, and make the best out of it.

          This time, I have no one to prove anything to, except for myself.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment