Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A New Beginning



          Carrie Bradshaw from “Sex And The City” once said: "people come to New York City for the two Ls: love and labels." However for me, there's one more L to find in NYC: me, Leon, because I know that NYC is where I belong, and I will finally be able to discover my true self there. Finding myself isn't going to be easy, but with the help of my family, my BFFs, and my own hint of fabulousness, I know for a fact that I will thrive in The City That Never Sleeps.

          Every stage of life is a new beginning, some of these beginnings are difficult to understand and accept, and nearly all of them, including my change to high school, cannot be avoided. All I can do in the mean time is to be the best that I can be and try to learn as much as I can, and then hopefully fate will give me a chance to discover and follow my own dream on this crazy journey known as life.

          After I stop daydreaming about my future, I realize how ugly the truth is. No. I'm not a New Yorker. I'm not Carrie from “Sex And The City”, and I don't even know if I will be able to go to New York and make a living on my own. The truth is, I'm just another fourteen year-old boy stuck in his little town of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada who has a big, New York dream that will only happen through hard work and a whole lot of luck.

          It's my first year of high school and the thing about this change is that, it's scary. People lie and say that everything’s fine, but it isn't. I’ve entered a whole new world that can be both complicated and stressful, yet I try to remain optimistic by thinking that you can also obtain great treasures among of all this chaos. One of the best treasures I've found are great friends, who will support you through times of difficulty and help you guide you through your life. I guess it's okay to be scared --it's normal even-- but sometimes we have accept the truth that we are growing up and things will change. We will never return to the way we once were.

          It sure is stressful worrying about all the things that come with being older. The exams and tests. They way you look and dress. The infinite amount of crushes that will never progress into something more. Even the people you know that secretly hate you, who you usually try to forget about, start to cause you stress. Although, despite these stresses I often find myself dealing with, I remember that there will always be the times where I’ll be laughing so hard because of something one of my friends said, I’ll forget about the difficult times. It’ll be just for that one second that I’ll believe all the pain and difficulties I go through were worth it. That’s what I value in my friendships. I value people who accept my every quirk, who I can always trust, knowing that they will support me through the most difficult of times. I remember these values when I remember my old friends from before high school, who I will hang out with after school sometimes. They are the ones who stayed by my side throughout all my ups and downs over the past few years, and they are also the ones who know my darkest, hush-hush secrets. I hope one day to bring all these wonderful people together to share what will hopefully be the greatest day of my life: my wedding (that is, if I, hopefully, find The One!).

          Every stage of life is a new beginning, some of these beginnings are difficult to understand and accept, and nearly all of them, including my change to high school, cannot be avoided. All I can do in the mean time is to be the best that I can be and try to learn as much as I can, and then hopefully fate will give me a chance to discover and follow my own dream on this crazy journey known as life.

Editor : A. B.

No comments:

Post a Comment