Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Body Positivity Part 2 - Health v.s. Plus Sizes


          Okay. I just have to settle this. I know that it seems that I never stop talking about plus sizes, self-love, beauty standards...etc. But I am concerned when all the images of girls online are 70 percent size twos, 20 percent size fours and 10 percents zeroes when I try to find pictures to go with my blog pieces. And I want to defend for myself a little here. I am not promoting a lazy lifestyle with bad eating habits, and I am not promoting obesity.

          To me, being fit and being a small sized person are two very different things. Honestly, I know it seems like excuses using the different body types, bone sizes, and metabolisms stuff, but I do think there is such thing as different body types. I think that if your weight is getting to a point where it's affecting your health and your ability to move, you may consider to change something or see if there's anything you can do to be healthier. But I do understand that many have eating disorders which I've struggled with so I usually never judge a person's health just by their weight and size. I mean, if you're losing weight and working out for the right reasons, then go ahead, you do you. But I don't think that restricting yourself from food and being obsessed with a size goal is healthy either. Trust me, I've been there.

          It just doesn't feel right to say that a size is the ideal look for humans and we have to be that size to be happy and healthy. I'm healthy and I'm a plus size, but I still want to lose weight and work out to be fit. I do struggle with binge eating when I'm upset and hating on my body so I know it's difficult. And the last thing I want to hear about is how I'm not healthy enough. I don't even want to start how the majority of pictures online of girls are with thigh gaps. Like if you have it, good for you, but it shouldn't be a goal for women when it's rare and unreachable. So I much appreciate how butts are more popular now as it is possible for women and girls to have a curvy body and be proud of what they look like. And if you're not curvy, you're still perfect just the way you are.

          Health is important, but self-hate is one of the most unhealthy thing most people do without even noticing. We all should be able to feel beautiful no matter what our sizes are and just be who we want to be and look the way we want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment