Sunday, July 12, 2015

Body Positivity Part 1 - Swimwear v.s. Plus Sizes


          A few weeks ago, I was at the mall with my girls and they somehow convinced me to try on a women's swimming suit. I looked around and I chose an one piece black suit to try on. My friends promised me not to take any pictures and it would be just a laugh between us. So I came out in it and I was not happy at all on how I looked. I was very angry that two of them took pictures and according to one of them, the other one posted it on her snap chat story. They all laughed and said that it actually looked fine, but it definitely didn't feel fine.

          Many of my girl friends have told me that they hated bikini shopping and wearing swimwear. I understood that it must not be a comfortable thing for people to do if they don't feel very happy with their body. But I never thought it could be this horrible. For most men, swimwear is basically shorts and sometimes a swim shirt, but it's still just shorts and shirts. For women, it's a whole different design, cut and pattern. 

          What I've found is that most women's swimwear are designed for small sizes. They have big sizes but it's basically just the small size's design stretched out. That's wrong as bigger people don't look good because those clothes aren't designed for them. The stretching out method may work on many other clothing, but not swimwear. My mother have always told me that "skinny people can wear anything", well obviously bigger people can't look good in clothes because these designers aren't thinking about how these designs will look on bigger sizes. I understand that this is what the Fashion Industry does, sample sizes 2 and 4 and anything bigger is the factory's work. But bigger people deserves just as much attention and effort. I just can't imagine what girls go through these days in those change rooms. Plus sizes now in the fashion industry are size 12 to 24, and some fashion idiots think that plus sizes should be from size 8 and up. I don't care about fitness and health right now, I just think that a bigger size shouldn't be a label and  and means a lower level of attention and effort. 

          I know it would be difficult to alter every design for bigger sizes, but it's our job as designers to make all people feel beautiful. I have problems drawing bigger sizes because I have problems with my own size. It's just difficult when all my Fashion books and magazines are with women with sizes 2 to 4. I really do believe that all sizes deserves fashion, but my drawings say the opposite. I think it's wrong seeing women changing themselves to fit into fashion. We need to remember that we own the clothes, the clothes don't own us. Always wear a bigger attitude than your shoes, that's how you not letting fashion overpower you.

          Why should sample sizes be 2 and 4 anyway ? I don't think the default size for us humans is a size 2. Because all humans comes in different sizes and shapes, and they're beautiful just the way they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment