Sunday, August 28, 2016

A Word About... Love.


"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
1 Corinthians 13 : 4-8

          Many religions, and many people too even without a religious belief, believes in love. A love that's beautiful, magical, and unconditional.
          
          See, that verse from the Bible, is my favorite verse out of the entire Bible. Why ? Because I don't believe a single word of it. Again, not trying to criticize Christianity and it's beliefs, I'm just trying to make a point. I don't necessarily believe that there's a God, but I know that a humane love is not a perfect love. That's not love is like, that's what we want it to be like, that's what all humans wish to be like, perfection. And it's part of why Christianity works so well, it's whole belief system is surrounding the concept of a God, a divining love. Love is already a concept that we humans can't really grasp, and believing that there's a higher power which controls and defines the love, the perfection we all crave for, now that's a strong belief, that not only provides us security and control, but also hope, resulting in joy and a purpose in life.

          Personally, I don't think of love as an emotion. When we say that we love someone or something, I mostly just see it as a figure of speech. Love is a base, a base for our emotions, actions, and reactions to the world around us. It won't be just positive, it's not perfect, it's not easy, and it's not a happily ever after. It is a base of how and where our emotions will steam from. Now, if love is only a base, a concept, a mindset to let our actions and emotions grow from. Then, I also believe that love is a social construct. A concept, created by us humans. Anyway, not gonna go into that today, I still need to do some more reading and thinking, enough Philosophy for today.

          I choose not to believe in a magical, powerful, and all mighty love. I don't expect love to be that easy, that comfortable, and that perfect. I expect and understand that we humans can be angry, sad, happy, envy, hurt, guilty, ashamed, caring, generous, kind, hopeful, strong, weak...etc. All of those things, and they all can be a result of love. We love, because we care. We aren't perfect, and love isn't either. And that's okay.

          I don't Love,
          I just feel with Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment