Sunday, June 18, 2017

The End of High School


          It is officially the end of High School ! I never thought this day would come, but here we are. WE MADE IT !!! The last 4 years have been a roller coaster ride, I have grown so much as a student, and a person in general. Most people have seen the worst of me, and some were lucky enough to see the best of me. Are these really the "best years of our lives" ?! God I hope not. Let's pray that we will continue to rise and thrive in the future.

          I have so much to say, yet so little time... So I'll be doing a series call "Youth" starting after this, featuring some of the most influential girl-friends that I've made during these four years. It will be an emotional series, giving thanks and sending love to those who have been there for me and have inspired me. Without them, I would not be the woman that I am today.

          Before that, I want to just talk a little bit about my high school, a place that has always welcomed me with open arms. And for that, I will never be able to express how thankful I am, how much that means to me personally especially even after I came out. Also, even though I'm pretty sure the Arts program killed billions of my brain cells, I am so honoured to have been able to take part of this amazing Integrated Arts Program. I came into the school in grade 9, only majoring Visual Art, yet now I am proudly to say that I am graduating as a Visual Art major, Vocal Music major, Drama minor, and Dance minor. I have truly found my Art, and my Art is Activism. Through the areas of the arts, I was able to learn and gain different skills to apply into my work as an Activist. With Visual Art, I found myself studying the world around me, the relationships, the emotions...etc. I saw the world as a masterpiece, still yet to be finished, and it may never be perfect, but we will get there, we will try our best, we will all work on it, together. With Drama, I overcame my stage-fright, my insecurities with public speaking and owning space, claiming my presence. With Vocal Music, I found my voice, and I will continue to fight for those who's voice have been oppressed and silenced. Finally, with dance, an area that I've just started to explore earlier this year, an art form that I've been dreaming about ever since I was a little kid. Over the years, I've lost myself, unable to accept and embrace my body physically. Coming out as Trans was the first step, and dancing was the second. I'm learning to love my physical self through the dance movements and choreography, and I am so happy that the dance teachers looked past my lack of experience and gave me such opportunities.

          Thank You, to all the efforts of the dedicated teachers and wonderful students for making my High School years so rich, so full-of-memories, so beautiful, so... FABULOUS. Sending nothing but Love to all Graduates !

No comments:

Post a Comment