Monday, January 5, 2015

The Not So Perfect Family Part 2 - Sacrifices


      So, I'm kinda getting more and more comfortable with my dad around. Sometimes it even feels like we had never been separated, but then I remember that he will leave us in only a few weeks. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we never moved to all these different countries and left my dad all alone in Taiwan, or if we all moved together... Maybe things would have been better and maybe they wouldn't have. No one can really answer that. I should be happy for the life they have provided me. They both sacrificed a lot in their life to give me and my brother this beautiful life in Canada.

      Some of their sacrifices is what makes them some of the most loving parents in the world. Some parents can not make or afford these sacrifices. My dad knew my mom wasn't happy in Taiwan. She was tired of the big city environment and the stress from work, and my dad was very hard working too. So when they both came home grumpy and tired, and they had to watch me and my brother fight over stupid things everyday, they sometimes lost their temper. Taiwan's education system isn't the brightest or the smartest, so my mom decided to leave the country with her kids, but my dad loved his work, and he does not know any English, so he stayed.

      We first went to Singapore for two years, Malaysia for another year, and then finally Canada. It looks like we're finally settling into Canada, and I like it here the most ! My mom has always been the rock for my brother and I over these years. Even though my parents aren't divorced, my mom does have to take care of us like a single parent and she survived in these English-speaking countries without knowing how to speak English. Without her, I would not be standing here today, literally. You know, people ask me, why didn't my dad come with us to Canada ? If he really loves his family, wouldn't he be able to choose family over his career ? Well, it's not as easy as it sounds. It would take him years to learn English and then find a job here, and plus, without his stable income, we would have never survived living in another country. He did come to Canada and lived with us for a year, and he did try, but he wasn't happy here. He felt useless without his work and the ability to provide income for us. So, I'm okay if he lives in Taiwan. I want him to be happy.

      My mom sacrificed her close relationships with her husband, her siblings, and her parents. She sacrificed her love for her home country and her career that she worked so hard to get. My dad sacrificed his close relationships with his wife and kids. I can never imagine how he must feels back in Taiwan looking at me and my brother's empty rooms. I also can not imagine how my mom feels inside when she misses her parents and friends in Taiwan...

      My parents both made sacrifices to give me and my brother a better and more educated future. They might not say "I love you" to their kids like other parents do, but I know they love me so much because without love, they wouldn't have done this and given me this beautiful opportunity to explore the other side of the world and myself.

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment