Monday, January 5, 2015

The Not So Perfect Family Part 1 - Differences


      So, me and my family are back in Canada from Florida and school starts tomorrow. My dad is staying with us until the end of January, and then he will go back to Taiwan. It's nice to have my dad here with us, but to be honest, I was little nervous before he came to visit. I don't really know why I felt that way, but I guess it's just because it feels weird. We went to visit him back in the summer of 2014 and now he's visiting us. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing him. It's just a little awkward.

      I think that my family is really trying to be close again, but it's awkward because it's like we're starting over. We don't know a lot about my dad anymore because we don't see him, and that goes the same for him too. He doesn't know what I like to wear or what friends I have, and I don't know what he does when he's bored and what he likes to eat. Sometimes we try to talk, but we don't know what to talk about and it's just like, "ummm...okay." Sometimes on our trip, I had to tip toe around him because I couldn't read his emotions and I was afraid he was angry at me for some reason.

      My family isn't this distant just because of the distance overseas. It's also because of how how different and unique our personalities are. My mom is a quite and weird person, she only opens up to the people she likes. If she laughs and make jokes around you, she likes you as a friend. When she doesn't like you, she is a very cold and shy person. She can be mean and harsh sometimes, but that's because if she thinks that if she is comfortable enough with that person, she will tell them the truth. If you don't take the time to understand her, you might think she is not a very kind person, but she is. Usually she's very sarcastic, and sometimes people like me will get offended around her. My dad is the opposite. He is usually very happy and easy to talk to. He is emotional, but he is very polite. He will often push down his own opinions and emotions so that he can help others and agree with them. He is too nice to people and people take advantage of him. Then when he gets betrayed, he usually beats himself up...

      My brother is a mean and harsh person, but he is actually very kind inside. He is just afraid to be hurt by others, so he arms himself with mean words and knuckles. He can be violent sometimes, but you just really need to love him and have patience with him to understand him. For me, it's weird because people sometimes describe themselves differently than others, but I think I actually know myself quite well most of the time. I am a very fun and weird person. I'm the funny and the crazy one in groups, but I can be emotional, deep and sensitive one-on-one. There are many sides to me, and I try to be happy and be myself through rough times. 

      So, we aren't the perfect family because us four aren't perfect, but I think that we are a family after all and we love each other very much. Maybe because of our personalities, we disagree, but we always try to work with our differences and support each other in our own little way.   

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment