Monday, September 7, 2015

Sex Education


          So lately in Ontario, Canada, people have been debating over the new Sex-Ed curriculum. And I just want to express that I am 100% for the liberal movement, but I still understand why many people would be against it. In many debate topics like homosexuality, racism...etc and this, it's important to look at the other side and really consider why they would be thinking that. That's the only way to win, to solve the opposite side's issues and concerns.

          People are saying that explicit anal, oral sex and masturbation will be taught to kids as young as grade ones with the new curriculum. That is just false and wrong on so many levels. I mean, I get it. No matter what the content is, grade one seems a little early for any sexual education. So I really think it should just be called the new Health curriculum before they introduce any sexual interactions. Well, according to my research with many news article, the first grades will be taught about the reproductive systems and their own body parts. The second grades will be introduced to the concept and the importance about consent. The idea of human reproduction will be in grade three and four. Grade five will actually be the first year they discuss about simple sexual interactions. Masturbation will then later be introduced in grade six, and so on. Now, that curriculum seems perfectly fine to me, doesn't it ? Like seriously, I know plenty of people and friends of mine who already started to have questions about sex and masturbation in grade four and five. We should let our children have a childhood and time to be innocent, but not let them grow and learn when they're ready ? And for self pleasuring, kids will do it. I have not talked to one person who haven't tried it. I rather my children be taught about it and know that they can talk to me and not keep secrets from me. 

          Homosexuality will be introduced as normal and natural in the grade of three. Children under this curriculum will be taught that same-sex couples are no different than people with an allergy. I don't know about you, but I think it's important that we teach our next generation to love and accept everyone's differences, beliefs, lifestyles...etc. And the school board clearly states that every parent has the right to remove their children from the Sex-Ed classes if the teaching is against their religion beliefs, but all kids have to be in class for the teachings of homosexuality and acceptance. Now, I know some parents will still be angry about that, but we are ending a dark era. We have raised awareness for so many social issues these few years that is now changing our education. We have fought for Racism, Feminism, Gender equality, Homosexuality rights, Transgender rights, and Body positivity...etc. We have to keep on fighting for our next generation. It's time for change, I know we're ready.

          Now before you start wondering why my blog is becoming some teen-inspiration speech, I have to say that I really do wish we don't need this curriculum. I wish that we live in a world that everyone can be innocent and kind. But we do need our children to learn about consent, the importance of their body and sex in a society like this. We need our kids to be safe and know how to protect themselves. And this is just my opinion, but I don't think sex is stripping away the creativity and the innocence of our children. I think that judgement, hate, discrimination, and shame are the cause of making our children more and more like the adults. There should be nothing wrong understanding human nature. 

          My only problem is not seeing love as one of the topics in the grade one health curriculum. I think that we all need to be taught on how to love others and our own bodies at the youngest age possible. Only with love, that we can keep the innocence and kindness in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment