Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I'm Not Aggressive.


          I was Tired, but I'm Angry.

          Many people don't want to admit that they have privileges, but I'm here to "shove it in your faces". Yes, white privileges exist, wealth privileges exist, straight privileges exist, skinny privileges exists, cis privileges exist, and male privileges exist as well. Having privileges DOES NOT mean that you're ignorant, lazy, nor does it mean that you're not open-minded. No. But not admitting to have these privileges and getting defensive when people from an oppressed group is trying to stand up for themselves and their movements, that's ignorant. That's being close-minded.

          I have met many women in my life, that had been taught to feel smaller, take up smaller spaces, speak quieter, talk softly, sit like a lady...etc. That's not equality. No. I've also met many men in my life, that had been taught to be aggressive, to have fragile egos and pride, to do whatever they want, to take up more space, and can't show their vulnerability. That's problematic and unfair to men as well. And I, as a Transgender individual, had been taught to not exist. I have been taught to erase my identity and to hide myself, I have been taught to not take up space. But here I am.

          No, I am not aggressive. You're being defensive. Think about it. People asks for Heterosexual Pride, when the LGBTQIAP+ community is fighting for their rights. People asks for #AllLivesMatter, when the Black community is fighting for their lives. People asks for Men Rights, when Women are fighting for Gender Equality. Maybe the next time you feel uncomfortable that I'm speaking up about a social issue that clearly impacts me, reflect on why and how you feel uncomfortable. Do you have privileges ? Maybe it's not about my delivery, maybe you're just ignorant. We society have so much internalized sexism, transphobia, racism...etc, but I'm not blaming you for those issues. I will only blame you, when you ignore the fact that my people have been suffering and struggling. Because when you think that I'm being aggressive and angry, you're not listening to my cause and my voice, you're focusing on how offended you are. And I'm only angry, because of your ignorance, because of your lack of understanding your privileges.

          So am I being crazy ? Maybe. But you've caused me to be this way. And you know what, people have the right to be angry. People are dying, people are struggling, people are suffering. We're angry for a reason, we're tired. We want to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment