Monday, July 4, 2016

Toronto Pride 2016


          It was my first time to attend a Pride event, and I was set free.

          Toronto Pride 2016, I made my way to the big city for the big celebration to end the month of Pride, the Pride Parade. I didn't know what to expect, and I was excited yet nervous as well. The media, the news, and the concerns of many parents have made me feel a little unsettling. After Orlando, most of my friends' parents are very concerned and scared to let them go to Pride with me. Yet I knew that I had to go. I have to. It's because of what happened, plus the fact that I've kind of came out just a few days ago with the preferred pronoun of "She/Her", that I need to attend Pride.

          I've read articles about Pride, saying how it's now used for companies, organizations to advertise and market themselves, and how it's not very body positive, also not very kid-friendly...etc. Well, I didn't feel that at all ! Maybe it was because that it's my first Pride, but I felt home. I felt welcomed, I felt free, and I felt happy. As a plus-size teenager, I was able to feel beautiful even just wearing a bralette, letting my stomach hang out. I saw in the parade, people advocating for Trans Pride, Bisexual Pride, Asexual Pride, the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as Body Positivity, and Parents, Friends, and Family Allies of the LGBTQIAP+ community. And of course, we all showed our support for Orlando, spreading awareness for the Latino/a/x LGBTQ+ community, and fighting against Islamophobia. It really is life-changing. For the first time ever, I really felt proud to be Canadian. And I came to the realization, that Pride isn't just for the LGBTQIAP+ people, it's really just about Love. To Love, Accept, Respect, and Celebrate.

          I am just so proud to be who I am, knowing that there's so many others just as special and different, and the love and support we have for each other in this community. We are a family. And I've never felt stronger, and more happy, comfortable in my own skin. At Pride, everyone used "She/Her", and people called me a lady and girl. People actually saw me as a female ! I pass ! I actually pass !!! It just makes my little heart so warm and fuzzy. I'm no longer scared, I feel powerful. I will not feed fear into violence, hatred, and judgement. I will stand tall, and proud.

          I went to Pride thinking that I need to wear my Pride, but now...
          Now I feel my Pride, and I will love it, cherish it, and live my everyday with it.

P.S. I SAW Justin Trudeau ! TRUDADDY !!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment