Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Arts Industry - The Chances


      What is Art ? What do you think of when you see the word Art ? A lot of people say things like expressing yourself, creativity, diversity, differences...etc. My views on art were like those too when I first started my grade nine high school year in the arts program. This year, as I looked deeper into the art I'm learning and the environment of artists, I have found that it's very different. 

      Maybe it's because I switched to a more enriched program, or maybe it's just because we are a year older, but as I looked into the art, I seem to be losing myself. Yes of course Art can be those beautiful things we talked about, but the Art industry can be nasty. I have always wanted to be a fashion designer in NYC, with fabulous night clubs, luxury fabrics, shoes, fancy events, and people. Then I asked myself, after slapping myself out of the Sex & The City fantasies, is this industry what I really want ? The thought of evening competing and fighting for that one dream job with millions of other talented people kills me. They are literally measuring talents and comparing them. I don't have to imagine that feeling, I can feel that in the arts' program. Don't get me wrong, the arts' program is truly amazing, and it gives us a very professional and creative way to improve our area of skills, but it's gathering together a lot people who have the same dream. I can work on this assignment for two weeks, try my best, restart two times, and still see that girl who only needs one week and gets a better result than me. Yes, talents can improve and grow, but those people who are already ahead of the game make me nervous. I don't know if I can live like this. Even if I get to have my own brand, it still will be a competition with other brands. This industry looks for the best and wants only the best.

      Maybe this kind of pressure pushes us to become better artists and people, but I feel like we are just waiting for ourselves to snap from the pressure. The one that survives is the one that's successful and can really make their dreams come true. Maybe I'm just a weakling who still needs time to manage the pressure and the concepts. This is what I need to accept if I want to make it big in this industry. Sometimes I'm jealous of those who have a cute small dream. You know those who want to own a bakery or just become a local retail shop owner. Very cute, realistic, and fabulous, but not something I would want. I know that if I want things, I have to suck it up. The Art industry I'm talking about is the industry where people become stars, singers and actors on Broadway, great fashion designers, professional dancers or super models.

      As unrealistic as those careers sound, that's what I want, and knowing the ugly sides of this industry makes me anxious. It's both beautiful and ugly, like our society. What are the chances of us even getting to where we want ? The chance percentage is probably smaller than the chance of me receiving a Chanel classic 2.55 flap purse as a gift. Maybe that's not true. Do you even guys how expensive Chanel is !? Anyway, if we want our big dreams, we have to work hard. 

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment