Thursday, December 4, 2014

Challenging Comfort Zones


      Well, if you had read my piece "The Perfect Score", you will know about me stressing out from school. Here's what's happening so far...

      I just finished sculpting my visual art clay assignment today that was suppose to be done yesterday that I couldn't finish because I was sick. I just finished a homework drawing assignment just now that was suppose to be handed in on Monday. I'm not done the other drawing homework that is suppose to be due tomorrow and we have a full coloured idea sketch due next Monday for our next unit. For drama, we have a monologue assignment that our class started yesterday That I missed because I was sick, so I'm already behind. I had to think of a new character because my drama teacher didn't liked it. Plus performance day is next Tuesday. I just finished writing my monologue, but my printer broke so I will have to print it at school tomorrow. 

      The thing is my drama teacher, Ms. L, wants me to do a more serious kind of character. Which is harder because it's easier to do comedy and so many people are doing comedy ! I know I can be funny so maybe this is a challenge for me I guess... For the art clay thing I just finished today, I did a ballerina. I was going to do a pair of high heels but everyone keeps telling me to do something else ! If you know me at all, you will know that I love fashion, so that's why I basically do fashion related stuff for all my art assignments. It's what I do best. This time I'm getting out of my comfort zones for both visual art and drama, and I don't know if it's helping me or just stressing me out.

      I couldn't help but wonder... is stepping out of your comfort zone always the right thing to do ? When can we know that we have gone too far ? Can we only learn from mistakes, or are there other ways to succeed ? What I do know is that it's definitely not easy, and it means that we have to focus even more and put in more effort. It can be scary, stressful, worrying, and regretful, but maybe it won't turn out as bad as we thought it would and then we can let go of some of our insecurities. 

Editor: A.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment